Saturday, March 16, 2013

Milk Paint

Last week I met my friend Krystin from Everything You Do Is A Baloon as we wanted to check out a local store that sells milk paint. I had painted a few pieces with milk paint before and quite liked the process, but my goal was to try something different and use paint itself to crate texture and depth. Through some research and conversation with the paint store owner I got a basic idea on how it could be achieved, and could not wait to try it out.
For this piece I used a two toned approach. I painted the base with black milk paint and topped it off with a shade of blue. The idea was to have the black base showing through but somewhere along the line I must have gotten to impatient and eager to try the new technique so the end result was not as I anticipated it to be. Instead I ended up with a finish that is way more textured and antiqued than I had hoped for. This is not to say that I am unhappy with it, as the matter of fact, I think this may easily be one of my best pieces to date, but the look I was going for will be for another piece to enjoy.
This piece has its temporary home at Wild Bird, a Toronto based store located at 622 Mt. Pleasant Road.
Unfortunately these pictures snapped with my phone don't do it justice, but it is the best I have to work with for now.


One of two papered drawers





No comments:

Post a Comment